As tall as a tree
To have an understanding of what a tall person feels among others is not easy. It’s been a stereotype for a long time that people who are tall have it easy. It’s somewhat of a consensus with people that tall people can do everything that a short person can’t. I find this to be partly true but it doesn’t undermine the things that a tall person can’t do. As an above average height human, I can say with certainty that after being taller than the average height of my age group for most of my life, it is not as much of a gift as it may seem. I even find it ironic that those who do say that people taller have it better, aren’t even that tall to begin with. They can’t know what its like unless they’ve lived through it. I would not give up my height for anything as I do not regret being tall, but I want people to understand that it’s not the most amazing thing in the world to be able to look over a crowded hall of people and see clearly.
The reason I compare myself to a tree is not only because of the physical representations but the mental ones too. I am tall and skinny almost looking like I have branches for arms. But I am relatively quiet and tend to just blend in with others. I don’t stand very much in big groups of people, unless of course, you consider my height. I got the nickname from one of my coaches on the tennis team. He normally cracks a lot of jokes and just said that I’m kinda like a tree. I thought nothing of it but the name got catchy and stuck. Now all my tennis friends use it to address me which I don’t mind. It’s grown on me a little too much, to the point where if someone says the word “tree” in any context, I look to see who’s calling me. But I believe that the nickname grew on me because of what is signifies. It’s not about why people call me that, but where it started and the memories that were created with that nickname. I won’t forget what memories I made here at Troy high and on the tennis team, and I sure will not forgot why people call me tree.

Comments
Post a Comment